10 Good Reasons
FSC – 10 good reasons
- 1. You can buy wood products, from all types of forest, with a clear conscience when you see the FSC logo. FSC certified forests are managed with consideration for people, wildlife and the environment.
- 2. The FSC label guarantees that the trees that are harvested are replaced or allowed to regenerate naturally.
- 3. Parts of the forest are protected entirely, in order to protect rare animals and plants.
- 4. FSC protects the rights of indigenous people to use the forest. If they have sacred sites in the forest these are exempt from felling.
- 5. The forest owner must use local workers to run the forest, and provide training, safety equipment and a decent salary. The forest owner is often obliged to support the community in other ways, such as through the development of schools.
- 6. FSC is a market-based initiative which also ensures better conditions for the forest and the people whose livelihoods depend on it.
- 7. FSC gives an assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of the forest.
- 8. FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust.
- 9. The FSC label is not only available on wood for furniture. It can also be found on floors, decking, paper, printed matter, charcoal, kitchen utensils, even venison